A lawn doesn't pollute, a lawn depollutes - a lawn will clean up pollution. Watch this short video to learn how.
St Augustine Lawns Articles
If I answered "Water" to every lawn probem question, I'd be right 90% of the time. For the other 10% the answer is Chinch bugs. Learn how to tell the difference.
February is a transition month in Pinellas County. Your lawn is transitioning from semi-dormant to spring growth spurt. Right now, it is all about the soil. So what to do in February?
Here is a sample of a dialogue between a customer and myself about what it takes to recover a lawn from neglect.
Environmental groups claimed fertilizers were polluting Florida Waterways. So they lobbied for fertilizer ordinances and the Pinellas County Commission adopted fertilizer ordinances in 2010. But now, there is a study by the Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection that says these ordinances are not justified.
St Augustine grass is not heat resistant; it is merely heat tolerant. If temperatures exceed the heat tolerance of the grass, the St Augustine turf will "sun scald” - condition that looks like chinch bug damage or water stress.
Before you buy sod, you need to know: Sod Webworms, Armyworms and other harmful insects are in the sod and can destroy a lawn before it is established. Why? The sod farms are struggling in today’s economy and to save money, are not treating sod for bugs.
The Pinellas County Extension Service has quite a record of misdiagnosing lawn problems. They will look at your sample and most likely they will give you a probable cause and a solution to that problem. But often it isn't the reason your lawn died and you could spend much time and money going in the wrong direction.
What to do with an ugly lawn? Replacing the lawn with new sod is often the default solution however there is a more economical solution – renovation. Renovation can take dead lawn and restore it to a healthy lawn in less than a year.
During the cooler winter months in Pinellas County your St Augustine lawn is semi-dormant – not dormant, not dead – just living at a slower pace. Even in the winter, a lawn is a living growing active community that needs food and water.